Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I "Mustache" You a Question!

Last week, we had our first group lesson of the new year.  I entitled it "I Mustache You a Question".  I started out by writing that very question on a white board and posting it in the center of the studio on a stand.
 There was immediate curiosity!  But I saved the question for later in the lesson.



The first game we played was our Jumbo Shut the Box!  Shut the Box is a favorite game in our studio and when I made it a jumbo game, it became an immediate hit!  The directions are the same as the original game described in a previous post here.  I made jumbo musical dice out of boxes and duct tape (instructions found here.).











A laminated game board, 2 dice per team and a whiteboard marker is all you need!
Fun, fun, fun!














After drilling them on note values, we went inside, had a snack and went to work on our note identification!  I used a bit of a different twist just for fun.  I set up the Apple TV in the studio, used flashcards and my iPad.  Instant hit!!  I simply divided them up in teams - in our case, girls against boys - and showed each member a flashcard.  If they could name the note correctly, they were able to add a "part" to Mr. or Mrs. Potato Head - a very fun app on the iPad.


As you can see...they got a bit silly with it! Arms in eye holes, noses in ear holes, etc.  All the more fun though!












I wanted this group lesson to focus on practicing habits and strategies so I changed up our game, "You've Been 'Stached" to ask them practice-type questions.  You can find the directions to this game here.  For this game, I changed it up and assigned the colors as follows:

PURPLE - Name an excuse as to why you don't practice!

ORANGE - Give an idea that helps you practice!

GREEN - Name a strategy that helps you polish a piece!

This game was a hit and we sure some great discussions about practicing!


I had purchased "My Practice Stache" from Melody Payne.  You can find it here.  It is a fabulous set of tips to use while practicing.  Using her ideas, I put together a set of my own for my studio kids using 20 tips (the original set comes with 52) as a start.  I gave each student one of these at the end of the lesson along with a die to go with 2 of the tips and a challenge for them to use them throughout the week.  This great resource is available in her store and is currently on sale!


Oh and the question??!!  At the very end, I said, "I mustache you a question!"  When they yelled, "What?", I said "Did you have fun today!"  A resounding "Yes!" was yelled back!

4 comments:

Daria said...

Love the site! I’ve created lots of free resources for sharing multicultural music with children.  Please stop by and check out my site.  Especially the contests and freebies at: http://www.dariamusic.com/monthly_song.php
 
All The Best,
DARIA

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

opps, this was the link I meant to send for the Liebster award! http://musicelementary.blogspot.com/

Red Cup Studio said...

Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information. Thanks.
Hi-tech music recording studio in NYC - Redcupstudiosnyc.com