Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Camps are Starting!

This week I start the first of three camps I will be doing this summer.  This week it's MUSIC OLYMPICS!  This is the third year I have run this camp and it's still just as popular.  I've added some new games and activities so it will be fresh for some of my repeat campers.  I'll be sure to post about some of the things we do and shortly I will have those camp plans also available for purchase.

In the meantime, here's a look at some of the signs I made for the week.
Here's the sign that is set up at the registration table when campers first check in on Monday.  It measures 30" x 40" so it's nice and big and makes a statement when they arrive.  I cut the letters and music notes out with my die-cutting machine and cut the rings out by tracing around a dish or two.  I also laminated it which helps it to look brand new even after three years!


If you've followed my blog, you know that I also like to use signs to designate the area of learning as we go throughout the week.

The following signs are 15" x 20" and also laminated.  I use packing tape to attach them to metal garden posts around the play area outside.
This sign is used in the area where we work on note identification.  All kinds of games and activities happen to teach and reinforce notes on the grand staff.  Depending upon the level of the students I have in camp, we may focus on just the treble clef or both the treble and the bass.












This sign obviously designates the area where we work on rhythm.  We do loads of creative activities to work on recognizing note values, working on steady beat and working to build measures with the correct time signature.













This sign is placed in the area where we work on music terminology.  We work on about 20 different terms and by the end of the week, they know them well.  It's great when they're having so much fun they don't know they're learning!













I also like to teach intervals - both melodic and harmonic.  This area is loads of fun and the campers really love all the activities we do.













Lastly, at every camp, I always have this rest sign set up under a canopy.  This is a place we just get out of the sun and sit on our beach towels.  We also have our snack in this area.

Currently my living room is piled high with stuff that's ready to put out first thing in the morning.   It will be a busy week, but a really fun one and I'm looking forward to it.

If you're putting on a camp this summer, I'd love to hear about it!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just started my Carnival of the Animals Music Camp this morning. A bit disappointing with only three campers, but we're having fun!
Enjoy your Music Olympics - it looks so inviting! Thanks for sharing!

Sheryl said...

Good luck with your camp! I would love to hear what you did and how well it went. Don't worry about only having 3 campers. Sometimes starting small helps you to figure out what works and what doesn't for the next time! The word will spread and I'm sure you'll have more when you do another one!

Anonymous said...

I teach high school music appreciation and chorus and am wondering what some of your activities might be of you don't mind sharing. I see your signs and love them and might use them for inspiration.

Sheryl said...

If you can give me more specifics about what you are working on it might help.

llw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
llw said...

Hi Sheryl,

I am very interested in offering your Music Olympics camp to my students this summer. Could you please provide me info/link to purchase the plans for this camp as soon as possible?

Thank you so very much!

Mae said...

Hi, Sheryl,

I too would love to purchase your Music Olympics Camp, if and when you get it put together. I have some activities planned, but love how organized you seem to have this theme, and it's a bonus as I think you have done this camp a few times, before, and know what works. Thank you!

Unknown said...

What age is your Jungle Jam Camp appropriate for and what level should they be on?
Thanks, Denise Thompson

treese muller said...

Is your Music Olympics Camp available for purchase?

thanks,
treese