Even though it's January, I've started making plans for my summer camps this summer. Each year I put together at least one new camp so in addition to planning it out, I have activities and games to make. One idea that I thought I would do this year was make an outdoor crossword board. I wanted it to be oversized and to quiz some of the common terminology we are working on in lessons.
So, here's what I did...
Now keep in mind, I have never tiled before, but I've seen a few home improvement shows, so I was pretty sure I could handle this! After applying grout over the entire piece of plywood, I laid the tile down evenly and let it dry for about 36 hours.
The grout suggested 24-48 and 36 seemed a good compromise!
Then I started applying the grout between the small tiles. I thought I would be smart and put grout in a baggie, cut a small piece off the corner and squeeze small even lines where all the grout should go. It worked great....for about 4 small squares! Then it started oozing out all over my hand and made quite a mess! Well, deciding that if it was going to be a mess, I might as well make it a controlled mess so I used my fingers! It worked great!
I applied grout to about 1/2 a square and then used a wet sponge to wipe the excess off the top. Leaving it too long without wiping it may result in dried grout all over the top. NOT what I wanted to happen!
As you can see, I laid it out on paper making sure to use only 12 squares each way. In fact, as I was putting it together, one of my students came to a lesson and his mom spent the lesson time helping me put it together! Thanks, Beth!
Here's a look at the way the crossword puzzle will look once it's completed. I think it came out great and I know the kids will have a great time trying to figure out the words that go with the clues! It is slightly heavy, but it stores easily standing up. All of the letters fit easily in a snack-size baggie. I didn't add anything to the edges but may ask my husband to add wood. For now though, it will work just fine!
Now on to the next project!!