Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Tabletop Resource!

Recently I bought this fabulous resource and I have been thrilled with it!
This tabletop pocket chart worked wonderfully at my latest Discovery Camp, as you can tell by the cards I made to go it in.  Because the pockets are in rows, I added cards to a row (or two) each day we had camp to remind them of the concept we were learning.  Each day I was able to review them with a wonderful visual resource!  This picture shows day 2 of camp after we had learned the letters of the musical alphabet and our finger numbers.

I'm excited to use this resource in group workshops as well.  Once you determine your plans, it's easy to make your own cards/visuals!  I can envision using it with a composer study - add the name of the composer to the top and then add cards with his/her compositions or composer facts.  If you study a composer a month, this would be a great reminder for your students to look at each week. 

Other ideas include using it to work on composition skills, using it to work with your incentive program, building rhythm cards, or even using it for studio anouncements.  The really nice thing is that it's really versitle!  And when you're not using it, it folds down flat, making it easy to store!

4 comments:

Leah said...

This looks great!

Heidi said...

Do you think you the pockets are flexible enough to fit larger stacks of cards? I've been searching for something to store all of the game/flashcards I've printed off from various sites. I want to be able to easily see/find them all during lessons, so the clear pockets would be great. I also like how this looks like something I could easily fold up and put away out of sight after lessons are done. Do you think this would work for flashcard storage?

Sheryl said...

Heidi, This particular one would not lend itself to storage of packs of cards. There are other similar pocket charts that hang and may be better suited for thicker stacks of cards, games, etc. I've seen several of them in a local teacher store, but here is a link - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_26?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pocket+charts+for+teachers&sprefix=pocket+charts+for+teachers to some others. Hopefully that helps you.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the tip Sheryl. I'll have to check these out.