Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

5 UNEXCITING items I wouldn't want to teach without!

Funny title, right?  Well, there are a few "not so exciting" but really helpful things that I use every week and sometimes every day!  I could post about other really cool, colorful & fun items (and maybe I will later!) but I thought I'd share my unsung heroes today!  These items I would NOT want to be without!  So without further ado...

1.  SHARPIES  Ok, so these might be a bit exciting!  My students LOVE to chose 2 each week that I use to write out their assignments.
In fact, I have some students who will remember their assignments better and check the assignment page more often if I have them write out them out.  Often times that also means a couple of pictures to fill the page!

I'm sure you're wondering why I use two with each student, but it's pretty simple.  Using one just wasn't enough for them.  My students often asked if I would use more colors so now we just go with it!!

Many of you may email assignments, but if you're using pencil or pen, why not give these a try?  I promise your students will love it!

2.  CONTACT PAPER  Now this is definitely not exciting, BUT...I use this stuff ALL. THE. TIME!  I have a laminator that I use, but often I prefer to use contact paper.  It's especially helpful when I need to laminate game cards or flashcards.


With contact paper there are NO extra edges you have to worry about like you do when you use a laminator.  The edges are just as clean as a regular deck of cards.

My favorite brand is Duck Brand Peel & Stick.  I've used several other brands I find this one to be MUCH easier and clean to use.

I've been using contact paper for years and although it may seem intimidating to work with, I find it easy and quick!  In fact, if you'd like me to do a video showing how I use it, just let me know in the comments below.

3.  PAPER TRIMMER  A lifesaver for your hands!  I use a trimmer whenever I want to cut out straight edges.  So all those cards I just covered in contact paper?

Cutting them out with a paper trimmer makes them a breeze!  Even through card stock (I use 110 lb.) and two layers of contact paper, my trimmer cuts through everything with very little effort.  Of course, having a sharp blade is necessary so if it takes more pressure or more passes to cut through, replacing the blade fixes that problem instantly.

If you want me to add a demo using a trimmer as well as the contact paper, just let me know in the comments below.

4.  LABEL MAKER  With a studio FULL of stuff (music, games, etc.) keeping organized is really important.  I don't want to waste any time during a lesson trying to locate something or a piece of something to use with a student.  Using a label maker helps me find things easily and it looks so much more professional!

I use this model and love it!  Using "chain print" allows me to make lots of labels at once without wasting a lot of the label cartridge so despite a lot of use, those cartridges last me quite awhile.

It's also really easy to use different sizes of labels or different colors (even clear!).  I keep my label maker in a clear plastic container with the power cord and the labels all together making it easy to grab it from storage and move it to my work surface.


5.  MOUNTING PUTTY  Ok, this stuff really is the unsung hero for me especially this year.  I've used a ton of it year after year to put up my practice incentives.  It works great, comes off easily and can be reused year after year.  A little goes along way and it's inexpensive!
I even use it in my home to keep pictures from tilting on the wall.  Everything just stays in place so well.  But, if you want to use it to temporarily stick something up, it easily does that as well.  In fact, with many of my practice incentives, I've used this stuff on the back of my students' game pieces.  Each week when they move their game pieces there is no worry about a mess or ripping anything, especially if game boards are laminated as well.

Notice how all of these things tie together?

These 5 items may seem unexciting, but to me they are coveted!  They make my life easier and allow me to get more done in a shorter amount of time!

What UNEXCITING items do you use that you might consider sharing with us?

2 comments:

Linda C. said...

I would love to see the videos you mentioned!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.