Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Couple More Games From Camp

Here's a couple more games I used today!  I hope I'm not boring you with all these games, but since my campers seem to LOVE them, I thought yours might also!

For another water game, I pulled out the Tic-Tac-Term Tarp (lots of "t's" there!), the sponges I made last year, lots of water and some note value cards.  Some of my younger kids who were new to music were having remember the names of notes and how many beats they were.  Trust me, this game was motivating!  There is no doubt, they ALL know them now!

 One team was asked to place themselves on one of the squares in the Tic-Tac-Term grid.  I have a total of 11 kids at this camp so there was plenty of room on the 9 squares for 5-6 kids.   They were not allowed to leave their square. 

The other team had to identify a note value and tell how many beats it had.  If they answered correctly, they were allow to throw wet sponges at the other team - equal to the number of beats in the note value they identified.  Can you guess that whole notes were a favorite?

We also did a fun game of Staff Bowling!  This was just another way to reinforce the notes on the 
staff.
I taped the musical alphabet on 14 plastic bowling pins (found at a local Walmart) and lined them up on my sidewalk.  Students had to identify a note on the staff, then using a ball (I used a rubber one that would roll better on grass), tried to "bowl" down the pin with the alphabet letter that matched.
Of course, I used my magnetic staff board and magnetic notes.  Love that thing!  What I love about activites like this is that kids are having fun and learning without realizing it! 

4 comments:

Joy said...

I found a set of bowling pins at my local thrift store, but wasn't able to come up with a good game for them for my camp last month. Now I know what to do with them for next time! :)

Unknown said...

I work for a kindergarten. I definitely will be using this bowling idea! Thanks so much

Wendy Chan said...

Sheryl, I just LOVE your ideas with outdoor games for the students, what FUN! Thanks for sharing your creativity with these great activities, I'm excited to try these with students!!

MusicaGloria said...

OH I am so going to try this one!!