Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Simple, But Effective!

I have a fairly new and young student - she's 4 - and I've been working with her to help her learn the notes on the keys.  The challenge for me has been to repeat the same concept in different ways so that she doesn't lose interest.  Last summer when I was at my local teacher's store, I picked up these fun pointers knowing that the kids would love using them in some way.  I pulled them out and had Reese use them to point to the keyboard flashcards as I called out a letter name.  The cards were randomly laid out on the table.


She did a great job identifying the keys and had a great time with this activity.  She loved using the pointer as do many of my students.  What I liked was that I could reinforce the same concept in a fun and different way so it kept my student engaged. 
















Thanks to Mariel of Fenwick Piano Studio for these wonderfully visual keyboard flashcards. This turned out to be an easy activity to pull out.  It was simple, but effective!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Simple yet effective- isn't is always wonderful when we as teachers find a simple exercise, drill, or game that really engages our students?! :)

Sheryl said...

Yes, it is Sarah! I really love seeing their faces light up when they're successful! It makes this job so worth it!

Piano Lessons and KiddyKeys with Rachel said...

Love those little pointers! My students love them also. They're also great for following along with the music while I play a piece for the student. Thanks for sharing!

Natalie Wickham said...

Love it! Thanks for another great idea, Sheryl!

Unknown said...

Great idea! Thanks for the flash cards.

Unknown said...

Thank you! My daughters are getting ready to learn now and I'm so glad to have found you through Tip Junkie. Perfect timing and most helpful. I love your blog:)
http://lifeaswegrow.blogspot.com/